According to the statutes, the EMS has individual and corporate members:
You can join the EMS or renew your membership online. You can also join the EMS by application through a member society or the EMS secretariat.
Individual Membership Benefits
The principal reasons for joining the European Mathematical Society may be altruistic:
- to encourage European mathematicians to cooperate;
- to support European mathematicians working under difficult circumstances;
- to support efforts to get backing for mathematics from the European Union.
But there are benefits to individual members as well:
- Free access to Zentralblatt MATH (To obtain login and password please contact Olaf Teschke firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- EMS Newsletter, published 4 times a year for no extra charge;
- access to the online Journal of the European Mathematical Society. Available in the Member Database area: Instructions;
- reduced registration fees for the European Congresses;
- reduced registration fee for some EMS co-sponsored meetings;
- 20 % discount on books published by the European Mathematical Society ordered via email@example.com*;
- discount on subscriptions to journals published by the EMS Publishing House. Please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org*;
- 90% discount on the subscription to Excerpts from Zentralblatt MATH;
- reciprocity memberships available at the American, Australian, and Canadian Mathematical Societies.
* These discounts extend to members of national societies that are members of the EMS or with whom the EMS has a reciprocity agreement.
The current membership dues are
- 24 € for persons belonging to a corporate EMS member society, i.e., a full or associate member on this list
- 36 € for persons belonging to a society with which EMS has a reciprocity agreement
- 48 € for persons not belonging to any EMS corporate member
- 11 € for an introductory fee until two years from completing thesis
- A particular reduced fee of 5€ can be applied for by mathematicians who reside in a developing country from this list established by the EMS Committee for Developing Countries. This form of membership does not give access to the printed version of the Newsletter of the EMS.
- Membership may be granted for free for one year to a PhD student on application to the EMS secretariat. This form of membership does not give access to the printed version of the Newsletter of the EMS.
According to the statutes, Corporate bodies with legal status may join the Society in one of the following categories:
- Full members (Class 1: 440€, class 2: 1320€, class 3: 2200€ and class 4: 3520€)
- Associate members 440€
- Academic institutional members 440€
- Other institutional members (i.e. commercial organisations, industrial laboratories) 1320€
Full membership is restricted to societies, or similar bodies, primarily devoted to promoting research in pure or applied mathematics within Europe. Associate membership is open to all societies in Europe having a significant interest in any aspect of mathematics. Institutional membership is open to commercial organizations, industrial laboratories or academic institutes.
Full members are elected by the Council and other corporate members by the Executive Committee. Corporate bodies wishing to become members of the EMS should provide appropriate evidence of their nature and activities. Full members will, as decided by the Council, be divided according to size and resources into four classes having 1, 2, 3, or 4 delegates.
Benefits of EMS membership as a corporate member:
EMS members contribute towards
- strengthening connections across the European community of mathematicians;
- supporting efforts to get backing for mathematics from the European Commission;
- giving visibility to our discipline in society;
- disseminating mathematical research at scientific events, and mathematical literature at fair prices.
They enjoy several concrete benefits including
- 20% discount on books published by the EMS Publishing House and ordered via email@example.com
- 10% discount on journals published by the EMS Publishing House (except Oberwolfach Reports) and ordered via firstname.lastname@example.org
- the EMS Newsletter–the quarterly magazine of the Society–for no extra fee;
25% discount on the subscription to Excerpts from Zentralblatt MATH.
How to join the EMS as a corporate body
Please send an informal application to the EMS secretariat at the following address:
Ms. Elvira Hyvönen / Ms. Erica Runolinna
University of Helsinki
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmink. 2b)
00014 University of Helsinki
Phone: (+358) 9 1915 1502
Fax: (+358) 9 1915 1400
As an institutional member, you may pay your fees online.