EMS e-News 12, September 2014
- Prizes at the ICM 2014
At the opening ceremony of the International Congress of Mathematicians in Seoul on August 13, the Fields Medals, the Nevanlinna Prize, the Gauss Prize, and the Chern Medal were awarded, and the winner of the Leelavati Prize was announced. The list is as follows.
Artur Avila (Instituto Nacional de Matemática Pura e Aplicada and University Paris 7; Dynamical systems)
Manjul Bhargava (Princeton University; Geometry of numbers)
Martin Hairer (University of Warwick and New York University; Stochastic partial differential equations)
Maryam Mirzakhani (Stanford University; Dynamics and geometry of Riemann surfaces and their moduli spaces)
Suhash Khot (Courant Institute, New York University; Unique games and optimization)
Stanley Osher (UCLA; several fields in applied mathematics)
Philipp Griffiths (IAS Princeton; Transcendental methods in complex geometry)
Adrián Paenza (Univ. Buenos Aires; Communicating the beauty and joy of mathematics)
More information at http://www.icm2014.org/prizes
- The EMS Council held in Donostia/San Sebastián on June 28-29 elected Pavel Exner (Czech Academy of Sciences), Mats Gyllenberg (University of Helsinki) and Sjoerd Verduyn Lunel (University of Utrecht) next President, Treasurer and Secretary, respectively. They will take up office in January 1, 2015.
- Public consultation on Mathematics and Digital Science
The EU initiative "Digital agenda for Europe” published a consultation to explore how mathematics can help science to better address the Big Data and
high performance computing challenges. The deadline for participation is September 30. More information at
News from the EMS
- The proceedings of the first five ECMs are freely available online at
- Vera Serganova, UCB, USA, will be a EMS Distinguished Speaker at the Conference “Aspects of Lie Theory”, to be held in the INdAM (Rome), January 7-10, 2105.
- Sylvia Serfaty, Université Paris 6, will be a EMS Distinguished Speaker at the AMS-EMS-SMP Meeting, Porto June 11-14, 2015.
- Nicole Tomczak-Jaegerman, University of Alberta, Canada, has been appointed the EMS Lecturer 2015. She will give a series of lectures at the EWM Conference in 2015, Cortona (Italy) August 30-September 5 2015.
- EMS-LMS Joint Mathematical Weekend, Birmingham, 18-20 September 2015.
- Gunnar Carlsson, Stanford University will deliver the Bernoulli Society-EMS Joint Lecture at the European Meeting of Statisticians, Amsterdam July 6-10, 2015.
News from EMS Member Societies
Italian Mathematical Union (UMI)
- Federigo Enriques Prize 2014
It is still possible to apply for the Federigo Enriques Prize, to be
assigned to a doctoral dissertation on subjects related to Federigo Enriques's
mathematical thought and defended in the last two years.
Applications must be received not later than November 30, 2014.
More information at
- Book Prize of the Unione Matematica Italiana
The Unione Matematica Italiana has established a Prize, sponsored by Springer-Verlag, of (gross) Euro 4000, to honour an excellent, original monograph in any field of mathematics. The applications and nomination letters must be received not later than November 30, 2014. More information at
- First Joint Meeting Brazil-Italy
The first Joint Brazil – Italy Meeting in Mathematics will take place in
Búzios-Brazil from August 29 to September 02, 2016. The scientific program will consists of plenary lectures and special sessions in any field of current research in Mathematics and its applications. The participation of young mathematicians (post-docs and students in the final stage of the PhD) is particularly welcome.
Further information at
- 20th UMI Congress
The 20th UMI Congress will take place in Siena-Italy from September 7 to
September 12, 2015. Further information at
Portuguese Mathematical Society
- 7th Portuguese-Brazilian Meeting on History of Mathematics
The 7th edition of the Portuguese-Brazilian Meeting on History of Mathematics (PBMHM), which takes place alternately in Portugal and in Brazil, will be held in Óbidos, Portugal, from 15 to 19 of October 2014. The conference aims to bring together researchers and those interested in History of Mathematics from both countries.
- Special stamp issue: crystallography and fundamental sciences
In the framework of the International Year of Crystallography, declared
by the UN, the Portuguese postal service – CTT – has released five stamps and a souvenir sheet illustrating the interplay between crystallography and mathematics, geology, physics, chemistry and biology. For this emission, the CTT had the collaboration of several portuguese scientific societies, including the Portuguese Mathematical Society.
Stamps can be ordered at
Royal Spanish Mathematical Society
José Luis Rubio de Francia Prize 2013
Ángel Castro, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, has been awarded the 2013 edition of this Prize for his contributions to fluid mechanics, and in particular to the Muskat problem. This is the tenth edition of the JLRF prize, which aim to recognise work of young mathematicians. The Prize is awarded by Real Sociedad Matemática Española (RSME), under the patronage of Universidad Autónoma de Madrid and Universidad de Zaragoza. More information at http://www.rsme.es/content/view/1552/1/
Société de Mathématiques Appliquées et Industrielles (SMAI), France
- SMAI-JCM is a newly launched journal of SMAI that publishes high quality research articles on design and analysis of algorithms for computing the numerical solution of mathematical problems arising in applications. This is an online and free access journal in the framework of the CEDRAM initiative, with the support of MathDoc (UMS 5638 CNRS/UJF), of CNRS, of Inria, and with the support of the SMF.
- The 2014 edition of the Math Job Fair organized by AMIES, the SFdS and the SMAI, will be held on December 2 at the Cité Universitaire Internationale of Paris. This major event gathers young graduates or future graduate students in mathematics, companies employers, research institutes and heads of pathways as well as researchers in mathematics.
Spanish Society for Applied Mathematics (SEMA)
- SEMA Prize “Antonio Valle” for Young Researchers
Francisco Gancedo (Universidad de Sevilla) has been awarded the 2014 edition of this prize. The award ceremony will take place during the celebration of the XVI Jacques-Louis Lions Spanish-French School on Numerical Simulation in Physics and Engineering (Pamplona, September 8-12, 2014).
- SEMA Award for the best article in SEMA Journal
The paper "Polynomial decay rate for a wave equation with acoustic boundary laws overall feedback" by Zainab Abbas and Serge Nicaise, Université de Valenciennes and Hainaut-Cambrai, was the winner of the 2013 award. The paper focuses on the stabilization of the wave equation by a general class of acoustic feedback laws at one boundary.
The paper is a solid contribution, with original results, for a class of attractive and novel problems with damping mechanism at one boundary obeying an ODE.
The new issue of the Newsletter is on line and will be soon in your mailboxes: http://www.ems-ph.org/journals/journal.php?jrn=news
As every year, the September issue focusses on the Abel Prize, with the interview of the 2014 laureate Yacov Sinai, by M.Raussen and C.Skau, the speech in his honour given by the President of ERC J.-P. Bourguignon and an article on Mathematical Billiards and Chaos by Domokos Szász, who gave the Science Lecture at the Norway Academy.
In this issue you can also find:
- Opportunities and Challenges in Electronic Publication, by J.Rákosník and O.Teschke
- The Support Given by the European Research Council to Mathematical Research, by J.-P. Bourguignon.
- Around ABC, by P.Mihailescu
and many other articles.
Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook
EMS Publishing House
Most recent Books
Emmanuel Hebey, Compactness and Stability for Nonlinear Elliptic Equations
Handbook of Teichmüller Theory, Volume IV, Edited by Athanase Papadopoulos
Eduardo Casas-Alvero, Analytic Projective Geometry
Fabrice Baudoin, Diffusion Processes and Stochastic Calculus
Armen Sergeev, Lectures on Universal Teichmüller Space
MATHEON – Mathematics for Key Technologies, Edited by Peter Deuflhard et al.
Valuation Theory in Interaction, Edited by Antonio Campillo, Franz-Viktor Kuhlmann and Bernard Teissier
A high-standard open access journal owned by the Foundation Compositio Mathematica. Open access implies here that the electronic version of the journal is freely accessible. The printed version of the journal will be available from the EMS Publishing House at the end of the calendar year, comprising all issues of the year in one hard bound volume, approximately 600 pages in 210 x 280 mm format. The first volume (2014) will appear early in 2015 and cost 198 Euro including shipping.
More information available on:http://www.ems-ph.org/<http://www.ems-ph.org/
- NEW INTERNATIONAL WOMEN IN MATHS WEBSITE
In March 2013 the Executive Committee of the International Mathematical Union (IMU) approved the establishment of an Advisory Group for Women in Mathematics, charged with creating and overseeing a section of the IMU website entitled Women in Mathematics (WiM). Opportunities for women vary widely from
country to country and a main aim is to enhance the participation of women in all mathematical communities. The new WiM site has been launched on August 12th just prior to the ICM 2014, at the address http://www.mathunion.org/wim/
The site includes information about organizations, people, events, resources and initiatives of interest to women mathematicians world-wide. In order to maximize the usefulness of this site, we welcome suggestions from the community.
The WiM Advisory Group is: Ingrid Daubechies (Chair) (USA), Petra Bonfert-Taylor (USA), Carla Cederbaum (Germany), Nalini Joshi (Australia), Sunsook Noh (Korea), Marie-Françoise Ouedraogo ( Burkina Faso), Dušanka Perišić (Serbia), Claudia Sagastizábal (Brazil), Caroline Series (UK), and Carol Wood (USA). It can be contacted at email@example.com
- A WEB SITE FOR ADVERTISING JOBS IN INDUSTRIAL MATHEMATICS
The association EU-MATHS-IN (promoted by the EMS and ECMI) has launched a website for advertising jobs for mathematicians in companies or institutions working on industrial contracts.
Please advertise this among all interested people, industrial contacts and/or young mathematicians looking for jobs.
Jobs announcements can be found or deposited at the address:
- BSHM Neumann Book Prize
The British Society for the History of Mathematics is pleased to announce the biennial Neumann Prize for 2015. The prize is awarded for a book in English (including books in translation) containing historical material and aimed at a non-specialist readership and published in 2013 or later. The prize is named in honour of Peter M. Neumann O.B.E., a former President and longstanding contributor to the Society. The value of the prize is £600.
Nominations for the prize are invited from individuals and publishers. Nominations should be sent to the chair of the judging panel, Martin Perkins, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Publishers should send three copies of their nominated book(s) to Martin Perkins, Chair, BSHM Neumann Prize panel, 5 Tower Road, Orpington, Kent. BR6 0SG, UK
For questions, comments or suggestions about the e-News, please contact Professor Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel, Université Paris Descartes, Editor of the EMS E-News.