The Australian National University is seeking to appoint an outstanding academic leader to this key strategic appointment within the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences.
The successful applicant will have a proven record of leadership and management in a high profile academic environment with the capacity to engage multiple disciplines in integrative research & teaching frameworks. They will be responsible for developing and driving the Institute and College strategic plans in research and education. An ability to enhance and develop the Institute’s, College’s, and the University’s national and international reputation and performance in education and research is also essential.
The initial term of the Directorship will be for a period of five years with opportunity for renewal by mutual agreement.
For more information or to apply please go to: http://jobs.anu.edu.au/PositionDetail.aspx?p=2068
Professor Aidan Byrne
ANU College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
T: 02 6125 3887
The Director, Mathematical Sciences Institute, is responsible for enabling academic staff to achieve research, educational and community engagement outcomes for the Institute in line with the strategic goals of the College, and the effective operational management of the budget centre, including academic, financial and staffing activities.
Position Dimension & Relationships
The Director's responsibility includes strategic planning and effective management of the academic, educational, financial, physical and staff resources of the Institute.
This position is expected to exercise responsibility in providing leadership and fostering excellence in research, education, professional activities and policy development in the mathematical sciences within the College, the University and within the community.
The Director, Mathematical Sciences Institute, is responsible to the Director of the ANU College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences (College Head), for overall research and education leadership in the School, consistent with the strategic plan of the College, and will have primary responsibility for:
1. The management of research performance within the Institute, as well as developing and encouraging innovative research activity.
2. Maintaining and promoting a strong culture of mathematical research and education in the Institute through high quality research performance including acquisition of grants and consultancies.
3. Promote, foster and establish relationships within and outside University sector in the mathematical sciences.
4. Supporting and promoting a culture of innovative research-led education programs.
5. Maintaining and enhancing a range of educational programs (including graduate and Higher Degree Research programs) and ensuring the quality of the curriculum and quality of delivery of these programs.
6. Implementing appropriate outreach strategies and taking actions to enhance the national and international profile of the Institute and the College.
7. Supporting the Chairs of the Education and Research Committees of the College to implement the College’s education and research planning.
8. Developing MSI Strategic plan and ensuring its integration in the overall College and University plans.
9. Developing and managing budgets in consultation with the College Head and determining the allocation of resources within the Institute in a transparent manner.
10. Aligning staffing resources and expertise to ensure achievement of the strategic goals of the College.
11. Membership of the College Executive to ensure alignment of the Institute's activities with the broader needs of the College.
12. Providing advice to the College Head and contributing to College/University strategic matters as requested.
13. Developing a collegial and consultative environment in the Institute.