The EMS Executive Committee has appointed a Publications Committee.
Its members are: Bernard Teissier (chair), Joan Elias, Timothy Gowers, Rui Loja Fernandes, Pierangelo Marcati, Tomasz Pisanski.
The committee will take up relevant questions related to scientific publications and in particular, mathematical publications. It will act as advisory group of the Executive Committee on publication matters and on publication strategies.
San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment, putting science into the assessment of research.
This is a worldwide initiative to put an end to the misuse of the impact factor. Among the references of the declaration is the report by R. Adler, J. Ewing and P. Taylor available at www.mathunion.org/publications/report/citationstatistics0
A press release is expected on May, 17, and will be co-ordinated with the publication of an editorial in "Science" as well as promotion to the press. The EMS is one of the signatories. The declaration will be made available on the EMS website after its release.
Abel Prize Ceremony
Pierre Deligne (Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, USA) will receive the 2013 Abel Prize from H.M. King Harald at an award ceremony in Oslo on May 21, 2013. For more information: www.abelprisen.no/en/
Time line for ERC calls for proposals, 2014
The 6th Meeting of Presidents of EMS member societies was held in Aarhus, Denmark, April 6-7, 2013, by invitation of the Danish Mathematical Society. Learn more about the meeting http://projects.au.dk/presidents-ems/
The EMS-DMF Joint Mathematical Weekend, Aarhus (DK) was held April 5-7, 2013, with around 120 participants: http://projects.au.dk/emsweekend/
EMS call for proposals for scientific activities in 2014
- Joint Mathematical Weekends. Deadline: August 31, 2013
- EMS Lecturer. Deadline: May 31, 2013
In this issue, Education Committee and the Committee for European Solidarity.
New committee members: Bernhard Hodgson (Quebec, Canada), Eva Swoboda (Poland) and Rosetta Zan (Italy)
Meetings in 2013
Work/activities of the committee
- One goal is to publish articles of new solid results in mathematics education. The leading question is: What are the remarkable insights and progress in math education research?
Guenter Toerner (Duisburg, Germany), together with Despina Potari (Athens, Grece) and Theodossios Zachariades (Athens, Grece), are actually preparing a survey article on the diversity of calculus curricula in different European countries. The Committee would like to continue this analysis and focus on other strands.
- FoME (Friends of Mathematics Education) held a conference in Berlin, under the auspices of Deutsche Telekom Foundation and the European Mathematical Society. There were more than fifty participants and about 15 non governmental organizations and foundations.
- A discussion has started to initiate a Newsletter service run by the EMS Education Committee to cover what is going on in the European landscape of mathematics classrooms.
Guenter Toerner, chair of the EMS Education Committee
Committee for European Solidarity
The EMS Executive Committee has approved a new remit for the former Committee for Support of East European Mathematicians, which has also changed its name into “Committee for European Solidarity” in 2013.
There are no essential changes, however, in the main purpose of the Committee, namely fostering the development of mathematics in economically less-favoured European regions, especially from countries in Eastern Europe. Besides awarding travel grants to talented young researchers, the Committee expects to undertake its own initiatives, such as easing access to research resources, promoting the organization of training activities, and supporting bilateral or multilateral conferences in suitable geographical areas.
Calls are open and applications for financial support are to be forwarded to the Committee through an online form which will shortly be operative on the EMS website. Funding for conferences or courses will normally be devoted to awarding grants to early-career participants selected by the organisers. Decisions will be taken by the Committee at two deadlines each year, or faster in urgent cases.
Carles Casacuberta, Chair of the EMS Committee for European Solidarity
Catalan Mathematical Society
- The Ferran Sunyer i Balaguer Prize 2013 was awarded to Professor Xavier Tolsa, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona for the monograph: "Analytic capacity, the Cauchy transform, and non-homogeneous Calderón-Zygmund theory". It will be published by Birkhäuser Verlag in the series Progress in Mathematics.
- Daniel Ramos (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona) has been awarded the first prize in the international competition for the design of virtual or physical modules of Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013 for the project "Sphere of the Earth," about the mathematics of cartography.
- The next meeting of CSASC: CSASC 2013 (Joint Mathematical Conference of the Catalan Mathematical Society, Slovenian Mathematical Society,Austrian Mathematical Society,Slovak Mathematical Society, and Czech Mathematical Society) will take place in the University of Primorska, Koper, Slovenia from 9th - 13th June. More information can be found at: http://conferences2.imfm.si/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=14
John Erik Fornaess is a EMS Distinguished Speaker at the Conference.
French Mathematical Society (SMF)
Two years ago the French-American mathematician Benoît Mandlebrot died at the age of 85. A special issue of " La Gazette " will honour this great
scientist, his scientific work and his multifaceted personnality. Mathematicians, physicists, chemists, economists, express the deep
influence Mandelbrot had in their scientific fields. [Publication date: may 2013, presentation and orders on smf.emath.fr]
Portuguese Mathematical Society (PMS)
Over 90 mathematics videos developed by Khan Academy, a nonprofit organization that provides educational videos originally in English, are now available in Portuguese language for free at http://fundacao.telecom.pt/. The project is supported by Portugal Telecom Foundation and the PMS is responsible for the certification of the contents and their adaptation to the national curriculum.
By the end of the year approximately 400 math videos will be available. Besides the Portuguese public, the project also aims to reach out the citizens of Portuguese-speaking African countries and East Timor.
Royal Spanish Mathematical Society (RSME)
International schools "Luis Santaló" and Biomat 2013: As part of the activities of MPE 2013, the RSME, in collaboration with the universities Internacional Menendez Pelayo and Granada, organize two international summer schools: "Evolution and cooperation in social sciences and biomedicine" and "Scientific challenges in a sustainable planet". More information: http://www.ugr.es/~kinetic/biomat and http://www.ugr.es/~kinetic/santalo.
A large conference jointly organized by mathematical societies in Italy and Spain will take place after the 2014 EMS Council.
RSME-SCM-SEMA-UMI-SIMAI Congress, Bilbao, June 30 - July 4, 2014. The website will be open soon.
The Newsletter #88 is going to be online at the beginning of June:
In this issue:
Most recent Books
Erwin Schrödinger – 50 Years After
Wolfgang L. Reiter and Jakob Yngvason, Editors
Contributions to the History of Number Theory in the 20th Century
More information available on: http://www.ems-ph.org/
Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013
IMU and UNESCO have been co-hosts of a very successful MPE Day at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris on March 5 2013. This MPE Day was also the European launch of MPE2013. The MPE Exhibition was officially launched and the winners of the MPE competition were announced. See: www.mpe2013.org/exhibition
Last call for Marie Curie actions under 7th Framework Programme.
Deadlines: 14/08 for IEF, IIF and IOF; 18/09 for GIC http://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/apply-now/open-calls/inde...
For questions, comments or suggestions, please contact Professor Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel, Université Paris Descartes, Editor of the EMS E-News
Previous EMS E-news: