The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a pan-African network of Centres of excellence for innovative and groundbreaking post-graduate education, training, research and outreach in mathematical sciences.
AIMS has achieved global recognition since opening its first Centre in South Africa in 2003. AIMS offers a number of educational programs highlighted by its 10-month MSc in Mathematical Sciences which provides an intensive and broad education to talented young Africans each year, and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, governance and industry.
Based on the success of the first AIMS Centre, the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI, www.nexteinstein.org) was launched with the mission of enabling Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency.
As part of this network, AIMS-Senegal (www.aims-senegal.org) has been created in 2011 as the second Centre of excellence of the AIMS network. Its core programs encompass postgraduate training, research and outreach in mathematical sciences. Over just two years, AIMS-Senegal has gained tremendous recognition at pan-African and international level.
Following the strategic repositioning of its current President/Director, AIMS-Senegal is seeking a Director/President to lead the Centre.
- Ensuring the proper functioning of the academic programmes, including selection of students, quality teaching, the structure of the curriculum, and the selection of courses and lecturers
- Coordinating the full academic functioning and growth of the Centre
- Developing, renewing and achieving the goals of the Centre as it grows in effective collaboration with the Board of Trustees and the Secretariat
- Communicating the vision and mission of the centre to government and other partners, to the African and international academic communities, and to the general public
- Building and maintaining constructive relations with universities in Senegal, West Africa and across Africa, as well as international partner universities and other organisations
- Directing the centre’s research centre, ensuring that it pursues academic research at the highest level while assisting in the development and growth of the mathematical sciences community across Senegal
- Overseeing all activities at the centre which support its various initiatives
- Overseeing the preparation of an Annual Report, including full accounts and detailing all activities at the centre
- Overseeing the regular reporting to all supporters of the centre on the use of all funds provided by them
- Liaising with existing and potential supporters of the centre to ensure on-going funding for the Centre.
- A doctorate in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or a related discipline
- Associate Professor (ideally a full Professor)
- A strong research and teaching profile
- Extensive experience in the management of advanced teaching programmes and research
- An international research reputation and connections
- A proven track record of innovative, successful management and institution building
- Experience in working with funders, winning grants, achieving their stated goals and successfully reporting to funders
- Extensive experience in responsibly managing financial and other resources.
DUTY STATION: Mbour, Senegal
KEY PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The ideal candidate shall also possess the following attributes:
- A strong personal commitment to the development of the mathematical sciences in Africa
- A profound understanding of the importance of basic research, as well as the ability to engage successfully with government, non-profit and private sector partners
- The ability to articulate successfully the mission of the Institute to prospective funders, and research and teaching partners
- An entrepreneurial and innovative approach to the growth of the Institute and to the fulfillment of its goals
- Strong leadership qualities and excellent team-building, mentoring and interpersonal skills.
- AIMS-Senegal Board of Trustees (via its Chair)
- AIMS-NEI Secretariat (via its Executive Director)
- Salary and benefits will be competitive and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
AIMS-Senegal is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women are especially encouraged.
To apply, send a letter of motivation along with a CV to email@example.com
The position is open until filled, and it is expected that the successful candidate will start immediately.