The Faculty of Mathematics of the University of Vienna announces the position of a Full Professor of Numerics of Partial Differential Equations
As stated in its development plan (http://www.univie.ac.at/rektorenteam/ug2002/entwicklungs plan.html) the University of Vienna aims at strengthening its position as a major research-oriented university. Key elements of this strategy include the provision of an attractive range of research-based study programmes, support for furthering the work of junior academic colleagues, and high-calibre professorial appointments.
The Faculty of Mathematics of the University of Vienna announces the position of a
Full Professor of Numerics of Partial Differential Equations
(full-time permanent position under private law). The University of Vienna intends to increase the number of women on its faculty, particularly in high-level positions, and therefore specifically invites applications by women. Among equally qualified applicants women will receive preferential consideration.
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- PhD and post-doctoral experience at a university or other research institution.
(Austrian or equivalent international academic degree in the relevant field)
- Outstanding research and publication record, with an excellent reputation as an active member in the international academic community ¬(Habilitation (venia docendi) or equivalent international qualification in the relevant field is desirable)
- Experience in designing, procuring and directing major research projects, and willingness and ability to assume the responsibility of team leadership
- Experience in university teaching, and willingness and ability to teach at all curricular levels, to supervise theses, and to further the work of junior academic colleagues
The University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to acquire, within three years, proficiency in German sufficient for teaching in Bachelor programmes and participation in committees
The University of Vienna offers
- Attractive terms and conditions of employment with a negotiable and performance-related salary, associated with a retirement fund
- A “start-up package” for the initiation of research projects
- An attractive and dynamic research location in a city with a high quality of life and in a country with excellent research funding provision
- Support for relocation to Vienna, where appropriate
Candidates should send an application containing at least the following documents:
- Academic curriculum vitae
- Brief description of current research interests and research plans for the immediate future
- List of publications together with
a) specification of five key publications judged by the applicant to be particularly relevant to the advertised professorship together with an explanation of their relevance
b) PDF versions of these five publications through URLs of downloadable copies containing these pdf files
- List of talks given, including detailed information about invited plenaries at international conferences
- List of projects supported by third-party funds
- Short survey of previous academic teaching and list of supervised PhD theses
Applications in English should be submitted by email (preferably as PDF attachments) to the Dean’s office of the Faculty of Mathematics of the University of Vienna Nordbergstraße 15, A- 1090 Wien, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than May 31st, 2010 with reference DK 506-06/2010.