EPDI: European Post-Doctoral Institute for Mathematical Sciences
Frequently asked questions
Can I use only part of the grant?
In case of a parallel offer of a postdoc position Laureates may postpone the start date to the beginning of the second academic year.
However, in that case though, they will only use one year of the scholarship.
Can you give me an example of acceptable itinerary?
Detailed itineraries of current laureates can be found in the 'Laureates' section of the site.
How can my referees send their letters?
Letters are expected to arrive electronically before the posted deadline.
The simplest way is to send them to email@example.com
I have validated my PhD In Germany. Can I consider spending 1 year at MPIM Bonn or MIS Leipzig?
The EPDI spirit is to encourage mobililty of young researchers.
Therefore you will be expected to propose an itinerary with at least 21 months outside your PhD country.
In this respect, you could for example consider staying in Germany 3 months at the end of the scholarship.
I wish to stay at IHES. Can I indicate a Paris-Sud Professor as a collaborator?
Yes, it is possible to indicate a Professor of a neighbouring university in the application form.
Can I change my itinerary during the grant period?
Itineraries proposed by laureates are negociated with the EPDI Jury at the moment of the selection.
Once it has been validated by the EPDI Jury, it is confirmed to the hosting institutes.
Therefore, for administrative reasons, it is difficult to change it during the grant period.
How can I get refund for my scientific trips?
Please provide the following documents:
- copy of the invitation (hardcopy or email) to the conférence or colloquium you have just taken part in.
- originals of your train, plane tickets+ boarding passes
- For electronic tickets : please also provide a document stating the hosting institution did not fund you.
- your bank details
You will be refunded as soon as possible
Please note that hotel expenses and conference fees will not refunded.
Conditions for application
- European citizenship (European Union, associated countries and Eastern European countries) or PhD validated in Europe.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Mathematical Sciences, obtained not more than one year before the programme starts, or later.
Organisation of the programme
Candidates should propose
Should a chosen institute be unavailable at the time of the selection, the Jury will suggest an alternative visit to the laureate.
- Two years an itinerary
- With visits of varying duration¹but should in principle not exceed 12 months.
- At least 2 EPDIinstitutes conducting scientific activities related to the areas of interest of the candidate
- Or at a Japanese University²via the partnership with the JSPS.
Stays in the country of origin or of PhD can be arranged at the end of the grant (3 months max.).
Laureates can only attend The Issac Newton Institute
(INI in Cambridge, UK), Institut Mittag-Leffler
(IML in Djursholm, Sweden), Centre de Recerca Matemàtica
(CRM in Barcelona, Spain) and Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach
(MFO in Oberwolfach, Germany) as part of specific scientific programmes.
As a result, candidates planning to include a visit at these instititutions are invited to check the relevant websites in order to identify the programme they would like to take part in.
In this case, the candidate is invited to contact the chosen institution and make sure he/she is prepared to send an application to the JSPS programme "Post-doctoral Fellowships for Foreign Researchers"
to fund the visit.
Visits are funded by the different institutes hosting the laureates.
As well as a subsistence allowance, each laureate can receive financial support for his/her scientific trips (participation in conferences, colloquia, seminars in Europe) up to 765 Euros per annum.
This travel allocation can also be used to refund travel costs from one institute to another.
Documents to be provided
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Detailed research project
- Publication list
- Copies of most significant papers (maximum 4)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Names and addresses of two other referees
How to apply?
Applicants should fill out the application form and submit their documents online
Laureates will be selected in mid-January 2015.
Fellowships will start in September or October 2015.
Next call for applications: October 2014.
Contact: email conntect